Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hood Ornament

Continuing on the note of travel disasters I swear I am one of the most unobservant people in the whole wide world.

One morning I had to be into work extra early so it was around 6:30 a.m. At that time I was driving a big old blue Cadillac (to explain that is a whole other post). I was traveling my daily commute on the highway when all of a sudden a big bird swooped out of the sky. I recall thinking "gee I hope that birdy doesn't hit me." Ka thunk. Too late. It did. Oops. Well, I felt bad but there was really no way to avoid it. I dismissed the incident and forgot all about it.

That day I had errands to run on my lunch hour and so ran around town to the bank, to the post office, thru a fast food drive thru for lunch and back to work.

Then, in the evening, it was more running around, doing the loop thru Grandville, coming home to get my dauther and take her to cheerleading practice, stopping off at the grocery store, to the pharmacy, back home, back out to pick the daughter up from practice, thru another fast food drive thru for her dinner and back home.

It was at that point that I glanced back at the car and lo and behold, sticking out of the grill on the front of the car was a HUUUUMOOONNGGOUSSS OWL. I mean it was hilariously huge; it's poor head plastered into the grill with it's big butt and body sticking out in front about a foot.

I was absolutely horrified by the fact that I had hit that poor thing and not given it the due respect of a timely removal. I was cracked up by the fact that I had driven around all day with it jutting out of the front of my car like some kind of divining rod and hadn't even noticed it.

P.S. - I made my son yank it out of there. I didn't have the heart.

No comments: