Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Boot trial

Last October I thought I needed a new pair of short brown boots so I went out and bought a fairly cute cheap pair that I thought would do the trick.

I wore them on and off over the past 5 months. I was really disappointed though. The right foot was comfortable but the left foot felt really tight. When I wore them to work at the beginning of the day it would only bother me a little bit, but by early afternoon the left foot would really really feel uncomfortable.

Usually when I buy shoes I only try on the right foot because that foot is a little bigger so it the shoe is comfortable on the right, it's comfortable on the left. So I thought it was really wierd that the left boot was tight. I even checked the size of the left to make sure it was a 7.5 and not a 7.0.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, on a day when I was wearing the dreaded boots, I got stuck in a bunch of bad traffic on the way home. It was stop and go and since my car is a stick shift there is no rest for your feet in that situation. Somehow or another, that stop and go driving really started making my left foot feel horribe and I couldn't stand to keep that boot on anymore. So I unzipped it and took it off but I left the right one on cause that one was O.K.

Well, when I finally got home I had to put the left boot back on in order to walk from the car to the door in the cold garage. When I was trying to put the boot back on kind of half way still in the car, I couldn't get my foot at a good angle and then it was like there was a flap or something inside my boot that wouldn't allow me to get my foot in all the way.

And that's when I made the shocking discovery .. . . . the plastic insert that they put inside shoes and boots in order to keep their shape before selling had been inside my boot during the whole 5 months that I had been wearing it. It was a humongous plastic form and it was even bent under in one spot where my foot had crushed it upward from months of wearing it.

Of course I shared the story with my co-workers who got a hardy laugh out of it, especially when I even showed them the plastic culprit to back up my story

Geez oh peet. I could hardly believe it. And guess what, that left boot is really alot more comfortable now.

3 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

you did not tell me this story mom! How could you possibly NOT NOTICE?!?!

Oh my gosh, that brings your ritavilleness to a whole new level.

Ritamae said...

mamacita chilena,

I hadn't told you yet because the event was so recent but it is a very true and scary story about my state of being!!

minshap said...

can't resist... gotta comment. THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME (reverse feet - my big foot is the left one). However, it only took me two days to find the stuffing in the toe of the shoe! I sympathize with your plight. And I can completely comprehend your utter delight at finding the boot AT LAST comfortable!!